|Europe's leading residential technology trade magazine||Register|
Land and Sea Entertainment - Winner Of CEDIA Electronic Lifestyles Award 2003 For Best Integrated Home: $400,000-$600,000 (26/11/2003)
Describe the clients' general requirements for the project:
Seamless entertainment was the major theme and design throughout this project. Issues of entertainment control, lighting control and climate control became a prerequisite in addressing the clients' requests. Full control of the home from virtually all locations of the house is easily accessible. Simple, intuitive control was paramount.
Provide a general description of the clients (kids, ages, profession, etc.):
The owners are a tech-savvy couple who embrace technology in their day-to-day lives. He is an accomplished land developer and contractor and she is a skilled designer in several disciplines of design. These professionals maneuvered through their project with a clear vision of their desired outcome.
What special considerations and roadblocks had to be overcome:
Roadblocks were primarily in the equipment room and the theater. The equipment room was originally intended as a loft for guests. In reconstructing the loft to an equipment room, major plumbing, electrical and HVAC construction issues became apparent. The theater was originally a wine cellar. The acoustics were poor and the room needed substantial work in order for it to transform into a high-performance theater.
What did you, the designer/installer, do to accomplish the clients requirements and overcome the roadblocks:
The equipment room problems were dealt with in a number of ways. It required extensive electrical upgrades, the relocation of plumbing and HVAC ducting, including a dedicated climate control system to maintain proper temperature year round. A final solution to the equipment room was physically raising the ceiling two feet to accommodate a proper fit for the equipment racks. The theater floor needed to be completely rebuilt because it was the acoustic version of a kettledrum. Wall and ceiling treatments were also installed to "tame" this room.
Describe the five most used functions of the system and how they benefit the client:
1. Entertainment control is the most frequently used function of the system. A client requirement was to have the ability to manage and to select any audio or video source in any room or area of the property.
2. Lighting control is the second most frequently used function of the system, starting with scene lighting, whole-house recall and automated routines. For the advanced user, lighting control also offers room-by-room and even switch-by-switch operation.
3. Continuous surveillance provides the clients with day and night security functions including surveillance of all public areas of the home and property. All touch panels and televisions can display any camera or multiples of cameras and are automatically activated in the case of an intrusion. Multi cameras and screens are placed strategically throughout the house.
4. Climate control becomes a major factor in entertaining guests in this spacious multi-level home. The ability to address the significant temperature swings in this high desert region is a must, so for ease of purpose we provided our clients with mostly automated climate control, as well as manual control of all areas. Temperature sensors replace thermostats both indoors and outdoors.
5. The client's really like the automation behind the scenes. Favorite indoor features include whole-house snapshot activations programmed for the clients' daily functions and special events. Favorite outdoor features include automated landscape lighting, backyard water features and security storm shutters to protect from everything including stray golf balls, as the house is adjacent to a golf tee.
Time And Expertise Worksheet
1 SONY VPH-G90U/IFB-12A CRT Projector + HD XBox
2 B.E.BROWN Custom Picture Frame Installation for
1 PELCO GENEX 16 Zone Color CameraSwitch er 1 Multiplexer
4 INFINITY ERS-640 In-Wall Speakers
1 SONY KV-27FV100 27" Video Monitor
1 SONY VPL-11HT 16:9 LCD HDTV VideoProjector
1 SONY PFM-42B1 42" Plasma Monitor
2 SONY PFM-42B1 42" Plasma Monitors, Bedroom &
2 NILES AUDIO OS-5 Speakers
1 MITSUBISHI CS-4503 45" Rear Projection TV
10 OEM SYSTEMS SC-Ne820 Ceiling Speakers
This case study appears courtesy of CEDIA and Land and Sea Entertainment.
Land and Sea Entertainment has over 24 years design and installation experience and product knowledge in the field of custom entertainment systems, and is based in San Diego, CA, USA.
| use our newsfeeds | subscribe
to newsletter | submit
a link |
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of all articles, advertisements and other insertions
in this website, the publisher accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions or incorrect insertions.
The views of the contributors are not necessarily those of the publisher or the advertisers.